5 Ways to Use Up a Bunch of Scallions
The problem is really that most recipes only ask for one or two scallions at a time — what to do with the rest of the bunch? Let’s collaborate. Here are my top five ways for using up those green stems, soon to be duct-taped to my fridge door. What are yours?
1. Top Off a Soup: Finely sliced scallions sprinkled over a bowl of soup add bold eye-catching color as well as a zingy brightness to balance out rich stews.
2. Fry Up Some Rice: Stirfried rice, a.k.a. “getting rid of all your leftovers in one fell swoop.” Throw your leftover rice, leftover veggies, an egg or two, and yes, your scallions in a hot skillet and cook until crispy. Dinner is done.
3. Add Scallions to Salads: I add scallions to salads whenever I want a bit of onion flavor, but I don’t necessarily want the pungency of red or yellow onions. I also like the crunch it adds to grain salads and cold noodle salads.
4. Make Some Scallion Pancakes: Um, yes, please! This staple of Chinese restaurants is dangerously easy to make at home. Plus they make a great pre-dinner nibble.
5. Tuck Them Into Sandwiches: Tunafish salad on the menu for tomorrow’s lunch? Perk it up with some scallions. Your mouth will thank you.
What other ways do you use up your leftover scallions?