How to Steam Broccoli in the Microwave
Microwaves are one of the best ways to cook vegetables quickly and easily. Here’s the basics of steaming broccoli (or any vegetable, really) in the microwave. It’s virtually foolproof!
Steps to Microwave Broccolli
1. Cut up the broccoli into bite-size florets. If you want to eat the stalks, make sure to cut them smaller than bite-sized and remove any really woody bits so everything cooks evenly.
2. Put all the broccoli in microwave-safe bowl and add water. We like to use a ceramic bowl. For one pound broccoli (about one head), add 2 to 3 tablespoons water.
3. Cover tightly. We avoid plastic wrap when microwaving and use a ceramic or stoneware plate instead.
4. Microwave on HIGH (regular power) for 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on your microwave’s strength this should give you tender yet still slightly crispy broccoli — not mushy. Try at 2 1/2 minutes first, then check, re-cover and put back in if it’s not done yet.
5. Remove lid carefully! Take the lid off so it stops steaming but be careful; the steam is hot and can burn you badly if you’re not careful.