Quinoa for Breakfast! 5 Sweet & Savory Ideas with Quinoa
We just can’t seem to get enough quinoa in our house. Why, we’ve even started sneaking it into our breakfasts! Sound weird? Some of these breakfast ideas might change your mind.
Quinoa is really a natural fit for breakfast. Its nutty, slightly sweet flavor can go savory or sweet, and the texture of the grain lends itself to porridges and baked goods alike. If you branch out into quinoa flour, there are even more possibilities.
• Quinoa Porridge – Think of this as quinoa oatmeal sans the oats. Make it just like regular quinoa, and then add a cup or so of milk at the end. Simmer until the porridge thickens a bit and then top with your favorite breakfasty condiments. My fall fave is fresh applesauce, cinnamon, and honey.
• Quinoa Pancakes – You can replace half the flour in your favorite pancake recipe with quinoa flour, or do what I like to do: add a scoop of cooked quinoa right to the pancake batter. It adds a nutty depth to the pancakes and an interesting texture. This is particularly good with multigrain pancakes.
• Quinoa Omelets – Necessity was the mother of invention with this one. Necessity being the need to use up some leftover quinoa on a morning when I was also craving omelets. Fold the quinoa into the middle of the omelet just before serving along with other savory ingredients like shredded cheese, steamed veggies, or some tofu. I love the pops of quinoa in each bite!
• Quinoa Breakfast Hash – If nothing else, I always say to toss everything in a pan and go for it. I like this with sweet potatoes, caramelized onions, and spinach. Toss the cooked quinoa in at the end and top with a fried egg (or two). What a way to start the day!
What are your favorite ways of having quinoa for breakfast?
• Pictured Above: Blueberry Maple Quinoa from Sweet on Veg
Related: 7 Quinoa Recipes with International Flair