- In soup - Look past beef barley soup! Barley is a great addition to many soups. Here's an Armenian-inspired recipe for a warm yogurt barley soup with paprika.
- Drink it! - Barley has been used in many drinks. Here's a nutty Korean tea of barley, called boricha. Barley can also be made into a refreshing lemon barley water.
- In a beet salad - There's something about the earthiness of beets and barley that suits them to one another. Here's a hot pink salad with feta and red onion, and another with golden beets and rainbow chard.
- For breakfast - A little cooked barley with a splash of milk and some honey makes a nice change from the usual oatmeal.
- In a barley risotto - Try this cauliflower risotto from Gourmet; it's an interesting change for risotto, which is usually made from rice.
Do you have a favorite soup, salad, or other dish that shows off barley?Social Workout's daily exercise over at their Fall Challenge.
Carrots • Cauliflower • Artichokes • Fresh Ginger • Flax Seeds &bull Bok Choy • Brown Rice • Brussels Sprouts •Blueberries • Spinach • Black Beans • Raisins • Kale • Dark Chocolate • Green Tea • Edamame • Quinoa • Broccoli • Oats • Beets
(Images: Romulo Yanes/Gourmet; Emily Ho)