Brown rice fried with ginger and scallions.
Brown rice comes in several varieties, from short-grain to long-grain. The long-grain variety will cook up drier and more separate in its rice grains, while the shorter-grained types will be softer and more pearly.
- With soy sauce - Plain brown rice, nutty and sweet, with a splash of soy sauce is a wonderful lunch. We don't think good brown rice needs too much adornment.
- In a veggie burger - Brown rice is a basic ingredient in most veggie burgers. Here's the best veggie burger we know how to make.
- Fried with onions, ginger, and an egg. - Fried rice is better with brown rice, we think. This version includes an optional scrambled egg, and plenty of ginger.
- With squash and nuts - Here's a nutritional powerhouse: brown rice with creamy squash and crunchy cashews. Yum!
- In a salad - Brown rice, especially the long-grain drier variety, makes a wonderfully textured addition to green salads, like this mixed greens salad with dates, cashews, and chickpeas.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy brown rice? Here are a few more tips and ideas, including a great source for wonderful California-grown brown rice.Social Workout's daily exercise over at their Fall Challenge.
• Green Tea • Edamame • Quinoa • Broccoli • Oats • Beets
(Images: Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan; Faith Durand)