Green tea is famous for its antioxidant properties and purported health benefits. For thousands of years it's been believed to cure everything from cancer to headaches. We like a good cup of hot, fragrant green tea, but we also like it in a few other things.
Lahpet, pickled green tea. Lahpet is considered the national food of Burma.
Here are a few more ways to enjoy green tea and its famed antioxidant properties.
- Cold-brew it - One of the easiest ways to enjoy green tea's delicate, aromatic flavor is to cold-brew it.
- Muddle in mint (or other herbs) - Muddle in fresh mint from the garden or the farmers market; fresh mint green tea is totally refreshing.
- Add it to a smoothie - Add a spoonful of matcha powder, or a cup of brewed green tea to your morning smoothie!
- Eat it pickled - Lahpet is a fascinating ingredient; it's pickled tea, and it makes a delicious salad! It's one of the national foods of Burma, where tea is native. See more about lahpet here.
- Make ice cream - Matcha is a great addition to ice cream and other frozen treats, like this creamy matcha frozen yogurt.
Here are a few more tips and resources. And tell us: what are your favorite ways to consume green tea?
• The Tea Lady: Green Tea
• Daily Scoop: Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream
• Good Question: Help Me Learn About Tea
• Eating Light: Drink Herbal Tea Instead of Snacking
More 5 Ways to Eat Posts:
These posts are all ingredients paired with Social Workout's daily exercise over at their Fall Challenge.
(Images: Flickr member kanko* licensed for use under Creative Commons; Kathryn Hill)