Flax seeds go rancid extremely quickly; they can go bad in as little as a week, so be sure to store them in the refrigerator. They also need to be lightly ground to remove their hard hulls before eating. Grind them in batches of 2-3 tablespoons in a coffee or spice grinder before adding them to any of the foods below.
- In cereal - One of the best ways to eat flax seeds is for breakfast. Try them in one of these cereals, or in homemade granola.
- In homemade granola bars - Ever made your own granola bars? No? Try these, and add some flax seed for nutty flavor.
- On yogurt - Flax seeds give nutty texture and flavor to a lunchtime bowl of yogurt, with fruit.
- On oatmeal - This is so delicious; sprinkle flax seeds in your homemade oatmeal for a little extra texture and flavor.
- As an egg substitute - Flax seeds mixed with water can also be used as a vegan egg substitute in baking. Here's how!
Do you have favorite ways to eat flax seeds? Tell us!More 5 Ways to Eat Posts: These posts are all ingredients paired with Social Workout's daily exercise over at their Fall Challenge.
(Image: Muschie's Baked Goods)