Barley is a grain that you may only know from beef barley soup. Well, there are many more ways than just soup to enjoy barley, and it has a fabulous taste all on its own. Here are a few ways to eat barley.
- In soup - Look past beef barley soup! Barley is a great addition to many soups. Here's an Armenian-inspired recipe for a warm yogurt barley soup with paprika.
- Drink it! - Barley has been used in many drinks. Here's a nutty Korean tea of barley, called boricha. Barley can also be made into a refreshing lemon barley water.
- In a beet salad - There's something about the earthiness of beets and barley that suits them to one another. Here's a hot pink salad with feta and red onion, and another with golden beets and rainbow chard.
- For breakfast - A little cooked barley with a splash of milk and some honey makes a nice change from the usual oatmeal.
- In a barley risotto - Try this cauliflower risotto from Gourmet; it's an interesting change for risotto, which is usually made from rice.
Do you have a favorite soup, salad, or other dish that shows off barley?
More 5 Ways to Eat Posts:
These posts are all ingredients paired with Social Workout's daily exercise over at their Fall Challenge.
(Images: Romulo Yanes/Gourmet; Emily Ho)