Broccoli is famously hated by two-year-olds and presidents alike. But it's a powerhouse of green nutrients and delicious flavor too. Here are five of our favorite ways to eat this tree-like cruciferous vegetable.
A velvety pasta sauce made from steamed broccoli and feta cheese.
What's your favorite way to eat broccoli?
- Raw! - Our favorite way to eat broccoli is in a spicy raw salad, like this recipe for Sexy, Spicy Broccoli from Melissa Clark. Lots of olive oil, chili pepper, and some garlic. Delicious! Also try this Broccoli Slaw.
- Steamed - Probably the easiest way to eat a head of broccoli. You can steam broccoli stalks in the microwave quickly and easily. Serve with a little salt, vinegar, and olive oil.
- Roasted - Crispier and darker in flavor than the ubiquitous steamed broccoli, roasting is just as easy. Here's how to roast broccoli. Great with a little Parmesan cheese!
- With pasta - There's something about the texture and taste of broccoli that we really love paired with pasta. We like it as a vegetable tossed into sausage pasta, and as an addition to a healthy feta and broccoli pasta salad.
- As a pasta sauce! - But broccoli isn't just an addition to pasta; it can also be the sauce! A little oil and cheese transforms steamed broccoli into creamy, delicate green pasta sauce. It's really delicious and a great way to eat your veggies. Here's the recipe: Velvety broccoli and feta pasta sauce.
Here are a few other good tips and fun things about broccoli.