Why do we love looking in other people's kitchens? Sometimes it's purely for eye candy — the gorgeous light, the pretty dishes, the dream cooking range. But more often it's because we're looking for great ideas — that one setup, secret, or tip that makes us say, "That's so smart! I have to try that in my own kitchen."
From the best way to deal with honey oak cabinets to why it's smart to store cast iron skillets on the side of the cupboard, here are 10 things we learned from real people's kitchens this year.
- A Glimpse Inside (and Outside) My Kitchen - So many smart lessons in one tiny space, including the power of IKEA Värde shelving; the usefulness of a vintage drying rack; and yes, grains stored in mason jars really works.
- The 10 Commandments of Kitchen Renovation: Lessons Learned from the Big Reveal Contest - Not just one, but 10 lessons of kitchen renovation gleaned from many entries in our Big Reveal contest last summer.
- How Stylist Julia Badovinac Organizes Her Open-Plan Kitchen - How do you take a totally open, loft-style kitchen, and make it practical for everyday use? Julia shows us how (yes, IKEA is involved).
- Why Leather Designer Steve Soria Uses a Pegboard for His Favorite Kitchen Tools - Steve explains his inspiration from Julia Child, and the tools that live on his pegboard. All (except one!) get regular use.
- Why Chef Michelle Marek Stores Her Cast Iron Skillets on the Side of the Cupboard - A smart tip for these essential pans from Montreal chef Michelle Marek.
- How Abby Ruettgers of Farm and Fable Cleans and Maintains Her Huge Chopping Board - A huge chopping board is a great tool and a nice way to partially cover up countertops you don't like. But how to wash and maintain it? Abby explains how she does it.
- This Bungalow Kitchen is Fabulous! Here Are 5 Things to Learn from It. - One of our readers' favorite kitchens this year. Here are a few takeaways.
- Listen Up, Renters. Changing Your Kitchen Cabinet Hardware Really Can Make a Difference - We always say that changing your hardware is an easy way to make a difference in the look of your kitchen. This kitchen really shows it.
- This Is How to Deal with Honey Oak Cabinets: Paint the Walls Midnight Blue - Frustrated with the look of your cabinets? Maybe the answer isn't to change them, but to change your walls.
- Boston Food Swap Founder Lyn Huckabee's 5 Time-Saving Tips for a Diverse, Self-Sufficient Pantry - Practical pantry organization tips and ideas.
* * *