• Quinoa Porridge - Think of this as quinoa oatmeal sans the oats. Make it just like regular quinoa, and then add a cup or so of milk at the end. Simmer until the porridge thickens a bit and then top with your favorite breakfasty condiments. My fall fave is fresh applesauce, cinnamon, and honey.
• Quinoa Pancakes - You can replace half the flour in your favorite pancake recipe with quinoa flour, or do what I like to do: add a scoop of cooked quinoa right to the pancake batter. It adds a nutty depth to the pancakes and an interesting texture. This is particularly good with multigrain pancakes.
• Quinoa Omelets - Necessity was the mother of invention with this one. Necessity being the need to use up some leftover quinoa on a morning when I was also craving omelets. Fold the quinoa into the middle of the omelet just before serving along with other savory ingredients like shredded cheese, steamed veggies, or some tofu. I love the pops of quinoa in each bite!
• Quinoa Muffins - This is another one that does well made with either half quinoa flour or with a scoop of cooked quinoa. Less-sweet muffins are best, like bran muffins or apple muffins. I can't help but envision Heidi Swanson's Cottage Cheese Muffins with a bit of quinoa, too!
• Quinoa Breakfast Hash - If nothing else, I always say to toss everything in a pan and go for it. I like this with sweet potatoes, caramelized onions, and spinach. Toss the cooked quinoa in at the end and top with a fried egg (or two). What a way to start the day!
What are your favorite ways of having quinoa for breakfast?
• Pictured Above: Blueberry Maple Quinoa from Sweet on Veg