If you've spent any amount of time doing prep work for a big dinner, you know how annoying it can be to have a your cutting board constantly slipping around on you. We've talked about this before, but a recent near-accident in our kitchen made us decide it was worth revisiting!
1. A Damp Kitchen Towel: Get the towel wet and then wring out as much water as possible. Lay it under your cutting board to create traction between the board and the counter. Thin, cotton towels work best for this; thicker towels are too spongy and make the board rock while you're chopping.
2. A Damp Paper Towel: Same idea as the damp kitchen towel and handy in a pinch.
3. Non-slip Mats: If it can keep the tools and equipment in our drawers from slipping around, we figured it could do the same for our cutting board! This is actually the method we use most often - we have a piece of non-slip mat that we cut down to the size of our cutting board and we keep it with our other kitchen supplies.
4. Poster Putty: You know that putty we've all used at one time or another to hang posters without thumb tacks? That same stuff can be used to keep cutting boards from slipping! Just put a little ball of putty beneath each corner of your cutting board. (This works best with stiff, heavy boards.)
5. Non-slip Grips: You can buy small, round, rubber grips at almost any hardware store. One side is an adhesive, so you can stick them to the bottom of your board to keep it from slipping. This is a slightly more permanent solution if you get tired of dealing with slipping every time you pull out your cutting board!
What other ways do you keep your cutting board from slipping?