Are you canning anything right now? We put up some cherries for Christmas gifts, so we have pretty canning jars on the brain. We love plain old Mason jars and the classic Ball brand, but there are some even prettier jars out there. Here's a look at five extra-pretty jars for open pantries and homemade gifts. Most of these jars are going to cost a little more than the more common Ball jars found in every hardware and grocery store this time of year. But they are prettier, and some of them would make fabulous storage jars for anything — not just for canned goods.
• 1 Weck Jars - $22.50-$31.50 at Heath Ceramics. The classic European-style Weck jar, which we love dearly. The shape is unique, and the glass lid is sealed by a rubber gasket, with clips to hold it on. You can see more about European canning at Weck.
• 2 Leifheit Decorative Canning Jars - $15-$23 for a set of 6 at Chef's Catalog. These German-made jars are marquise-shaped for a pretty look in the cupboards.
• 3 Bormioli Rocco “Fido” Canning Jars - $30-$50 for a case of 12 at Sur La Table. Made in Italy, and sealed with a latch and replaceable rubber gaskets.
• 4 Bormioli Rocco “Quattro Stagioni” Jars - $25-$38 for a case of 12 at Sur La Table. Another pick from this Italian maker. We especially like the rounded belly shape of some of the jars.
• 5 French Hermetic Terrines - $4.49-$6.99 each at The Container Store. We like that these are also freezer-safe and they are especially lovely for giving gifts.
Do you have a favorite sort of jar for canning or gift-giving?