Your Dinner Plan for Tonight: Braised Chicken Thighs with Brown Rice & Slaw
As we said yesterday, it’s tough to eat well during the holidays, especially when you’re so busy baking Christmas cookies and fruitcake that you don’t have time to whip up a nourishing dinner. We’re here to help this week, with lots of recipes for quick dinners, and some meal plans to walk you through making real food for supper tonight.
Today’s plan: Braised chicken thighs and brown rice, with the most colorful slaw we know. And a bonus: the leftovers from this meal make a wonderful lunch.
What You Need
I love to eat brown rice for dinner; it’s so nutty and flavorsome, and rather good for you too. It does take a little longer to cook, but that’s time you can use to prepare the rest of your dinner and make yourself a cocktail. Pile the rice high with chicken thighs braised with red onion, bell peppers, mustard, and chicken stock. A colorful slaw of green and red cabbage and carrots, dressed with lime and cilantro, livens up the plate and gives you a healthy dose of crunchy vegetables.
You’ll need about an hour to pull this dinner together, but it’s an easy hour, with plenty of hands-off time for mixing that cocktail or pouring yourself a glass of wine.
- Start the brown rice (it will need about 45 minutes to cook).
- Sear the chicken.
- Cook the onions and bell peppers.
- Add the chicken back in and simmer (this will take about 30 minutes, so your brown rice and chicken should be done at just the same time).
- While the chicken is simmering, make the slaw (a food processor speeds this up a lot!).
- Reduce the chicken sauce.
- Set the table, light some candles, and turn down the lights. Dinner is served!
What’s on your dinner plan tonight? Anything especially nourishing?