Winter Is Coming, So Eat Something Outside Now
With summer in full swing, but maybe, just ever so slightly, showing signs of winding down, take a look back: Have you eaten outside yet?
Outdoor eating can take any form: picnics, grill-outs, dinner parties in the backyard, beach parties. It can be as easy as bringing a sandwich out to the back stoop or eating breakfast on the front porch or crawling out onto the fire escape with a plate full of takeout. There are challenges to outdoor eating, to be sure, but think of the many, many months ahead when you’re stuck indoors, dreaming of wiggling your bare toes in the grass, sandwich in one hand and a cold wedge of watermelon in the other. Do it for that person, for that future you.
Problems with outdoor dining (and how to solve them)
- Don’t like bugs? Citronella candles.
- Don’t like paper plates? Use china.
- Don’t like eating out of your lap? Get a picnic table.
- Don’t like your picnic table? Throw a tablecloth over it.
- Don’t like the sun? Find some shade or wear a floppy hat.
The point is that any situation is workable if you’re determined. And again, winter is long. And cold. And it doesn’t have green grass and watermelon.