Wine Innovation: Champagne Without a Cork
Just recently at the London International Wine Fair (LIWF) Champagne House Duval Leroy and packaging giant Alcan launched Maestro, the world’s first metal closure for Champagne.
Will this replace the traditional cork and wire muzzle?
The closure, which is operated by a lever, replaces the traditional cork and muzzle closure. Several thousand bottles of Champagne Duval Leroy are currently being test marketed. What do you think? Is this a once off? Does it work? Will other Champagne houses and sparkling wine producers follow?
• Watch a video of the lever closure in action: Check out this clip on YouTube
Meanwhile, as Memorial Day is upon us, summer is finally here. Here are some wines that we think are perfect for any Memorial Day gatherings, and will equally complement both traditional barbecue celebration or elegant luncheon gathering.
• 2007 Franciscan Chardonnay, Oakville, Napa Valley $15.99 – Very good fruit concentration on the palate, and the right amount of toasty oak well integrated. Fairly full-bodied with a long finish.
• 2006 Robert Mondavi Fumé Blanc, Napa Valley $15 – Refreshing with good excellent fruit intensity, citrus, melon and stone fruit.
• 2007 Ponzi, Pinot Gris, Willamette, Oregon $17 – Un-oaked, full-bodied with good viscosity. Aromas and flavors of yellow plum, stone fruit and a hint of spicy smoke.
• 2006 Lang & Reed Cabernet Franc, Napa Valley $15 – Packed with bright, ripe fruit – raspberry, blackberry, wild strawberry mingling with an enticing floral perfume and toasty notes. Very good structure and long length. Great value. I love this wine.
• 2007 Cline Zinfandel Ancient Vines, Sonoma County $18 – Full-bodied, mouth-filling with concentrated bramble fruit, vanilla and caramel notes. Generous, warm and well balanced.
• 2006 Qupé Syrah, Central Coast $16 – Fruit driven and packed with ripe black fruit, leather, spice, black pepper and a hint of black olive. Rich and smooth on the palate and a long lingering finish.
Have a great Memorial Day weekend!