What's Your Potholder (aka Hot Pad) Style?

What's Your Potholder (aka Hot Pad) Style?

Dana Velden
Sep 24, 2012

Mitts or grannie squares, silicon or quilted batting. There are a lot of choices when it comes to potholders, also referred to by some as hot pads. What do you prefer to use when you want to protect your delicate porcelain skin from the ravages of a hot oven?

While I have a few oven mitts in my kitchen, I often find them too bulky a lot of the time. My preference is for a thick, soft, terry square for most things, with a thinner vintage crocheted circle for when a dish needs delicate handling and isn't very heavy. I also like potholders that lay flat so they can be used as an impromptu trivet. I find silicon a little too stiff but I know some people who swear by them.

What are your potholder preferences?

Related: Sailcloth Potholder from Alder & Co.

(Image: Potholder installation by Helsinki based artist Anu Tuominen)

moving--truck moving--dates moving--dolly moving--house moving--cal Created with Sketch. moving--apt