You know how sometimes you hear things that are supposed to be conventional wisdom but you don't necessarily buy it? For example, I knew Walmart was supposed to have super-low prices on groceries, but I thought maybe they're just good at putting out that image. I can't remember the last time I was in one, though, so that was based on no facts at all.
Then I checked out prices for 21 frozen foods — exact same brand, exact same size — at three supermarkets. I put Walmart, Meijer, and Kroger head-to-head on everything from frozen fries to Ben & Jerry's, and this article quickly turned into a laundry list of items that are cheaper at Walmart.
Sometimes it's just by a penny or a few cents, and a couple of times it was a tie, but sometimes the price difference was pretty wow-inducing (we're talking a buck or two — numbers that can really add up). Other than the instances when things were tied, every single item we looked at was selling for the lowest price at Walmart.
Meijer and Kroger took turns on the next-best price, with Meijer winning just a bit more often.
Here's how it all shook out.
Note: Prices were accurate during time of reporting.
1. Kellogg's Eggo Homestyle Waffles, 10-count box
If you're expecting Stranger Things' Eleven for a visit, best stock up. Funny enough, Walmart wins by 11 cents.
2. Pillsbury Strawberry Toaster Strudel Pastries, 12-count box
I have fond memories of squeezing out the icing onto these treats. If you have a need for Toaster Strudels, Walmart's prices are lowest.
3. Jimmy Dean Pancakes & Sausage on a Stick, 12-count box
Remember when food on a stick was a treat you had at carnivals? Well, who needs carnivals when you can get this doozy first thing in the morning? Walmart has the lowest price.
4. Hot Pockets Ham and Cheddar Frozen Sandwiches, 2-pack
Tell me you don't have the Hot Pockets! jingle running through your mind right now. Grab yours at Kroger or Walmart for the best price.
5. Bagel Bites 3-Cheese Mini Bagels
It's possible I kept this product line entirely in business for my first year following college. We have to compare based on buying two boxes because, weirdly, my nearest Walmart didn't have the nine-count box. No matter the math, Walmart is quite a bit less expensive.
6. Lean Cuisine Marketplace Sesame Chicken, 9 ounces
The old standby frozen office lunch seems to be trying to spice things up a bit. You can grab yours at either Meijer or Walmart for the lowest price.
7. SuperPretzel Soft Frozen Pretzels, 6-count box
No need to go to a mall — frozen pretzels can be yours at home! Walmart has the best price.
8. Whitecastle Hamburgers, 16-count box
For when you're jonesing for a slider but aren't out at 3 a.m. With what you save buying them at Walmart you can even buy a few of the real deal later on.
9. Totino's Cheese Pizza Rolls, 40-count bag
I may or may not have survived an entire semester of college on these little bundles of joy. Walmart was probably cheapest back then, too.
10. Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie, 16 ounces
It's only a few cents difference, but if you want to stock up on frozen pot pies, Walmart has the best deal.
11. Boca All American Flame Grilled Veggie Burgers, 10 ounces
Starting to feel like a broken record here, but the cheapest vegan burgers from Boca are found at Walmart.
12. DiGiorno Rising Crust Pizza Pepperoni, 27.5 ounces
It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno. And it's also a tie — between Walmart and Meijer.
13. Tyson Chicken Nuggets, 32 ounces
Surprise! Just kidding, it's Walmart again with a substantially lower price on this staple for many families.
14. Amy's Mexican Casserole Bowl, 9.5 ounces
Walmart just squeaked ahead on this bowl of cheesy goodness.
Veggies and Fries
15. Birds Eye Steamfresh Super-Sweet Corn, 10 ounces
Loading up the freezer with veggies? Looks like you're going to Walmart.
16. Green Giant Cauliflower Medley Riced Vegetables, 12 ounces
Grocers are in on the riced cauliflower trend, and guess who has the lowest price on cauli rice? Yep, Walmart.
17. Ore Ida Golden Fries, 32 ounces
Sometimes you might want fast-food fries at home. You can get a hefty bag for not much more than a serving at a drive-thru, and the cheapest fries are at Walmart.
Dessert and Treats
18. Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream, 16 ounces
Far and away, Walmart has the best price on this frozen treat.
19. Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt, Mint Chocolate Chip Bars, 4 count
This is my go-to treat and I see I've been buying them at the wrong place. Walmart wins again.
20. Klondike Original Ice Cream Bars, 6 count
What would you do for a … oh, never mind. You'll go to Walmart for the lowest price — that's what you'd do for a Klondike bar.
21. Pepperidge Farm Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake, 19.6 ounces
And this concludes our look at how Walmart has the lowest price on nearly every frozen item we looked at. Let's have some cake!
Have you done your own price comparisons in the freezer section? What have you found? Tell us in the comments below.