When it comes to lunch foods, sandwiches are always my first choice. Yes to salads and soups, but honestly, no matter how much "stuff" is in either of them they always pale in comparison to a good old-fashioned, eat-with-your hands sandwich. The trick, though, is I tend to opt out of the usual turkey or tuna. My very favorite sandwiches are the ones that are basically a salad between two slices of bread. I get all the vegetables plus a bit of carb goodness.
These 17 sandwiches are packed with colorful veggies and can serve as a wholesome lunch (many of which are easy to wrap up and take to work) or a simple dinner when you're not in the mood to fuss too much. They're feel-good choices that always satisfy.
Sandwiching lots of vegetables inside a crusty roll or baguette ups the heartiness of the situation to make sure you won't be left hungry.
- Pressed Broccoli Rabe and Mozzarella Sandwiches
- Summer Vegetables Sub Sandwich with Garlic Cream Cheese
- Garlicky Broccoli Subs
- Caprese Sandwich for a Crowd
- Bánh Mì with Lemongrass Tofu
- Eggplant Caponata Sandwiches with Mozzarella & Basil
- Boiled Egg, Seared Asparagus & Pickled Onion Sandwich
Good ol' sliced bread will never do you wrong. Fill it with a simple mix of grilled, roasted, or raw veggies, or add cheese and make a comforting melt.
- Cheesy Vegetable Melts
- 1-Minute Tomato Sandwich
- Vegan Sourdough Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
- Mozzacado Sandwich
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Goat Cheese & Arugula Sandwiches
Wraps and Pita Pockets
These vegetable-filled wraps and pita pockets are nice and compact, which means they're a perfect choice if you need to take your sandwich to-go.