Vegan Eats World by Terry Hope Romero
Who knew seitan could sound so sexy? Terry Hope Romero manages to do just that and so very much more. In her latest vegan cookbook, Vegan Eats World, she dips into the dishes and flavors of Morocco, Thailand, India, Poland, Jamaica, and many more food-loving cuisines from around the world, vegan-style. Vegans, vegetarians, flexitarians, however you identify yourself, we’ve hit the jackpot with this one.
• Who wrote it: Terry Hope Romero, author of Veganomicon
• Who published it: Da Capo Press
• Number of recipes: 300
• Recipes for right now: Kale, Preserved Lemon, and Pomegranate Salad; Roasted Pumpkin Salad with Dukka, Yellow Split Pea Soup with Chard; Jamaican Plantain and Pumpkin Curry; Potato Pierogi with Fried Onions; Sweet Potato-Stuffed Paratha; Tom Yum Noodle Soup; Double Mushroom Glass Noodles; Moroccan Vegetable Filo Pie
• Other highlights: The sheer breadth of this cookbook is incredible. You’ll find recipes for everything from spicy Malaysian laksa to Mexican red beans, each one made with a maximum of fresh vegetables and a total absence of weird artificial meat substitutes. The seitan does sound sexy in a great many of these dishes, but there are plenty of veggie-only or tofu-studded recipes if seitan isn’t your thing.
As with Veganomicon, I find it easy to forget this is a vegan cookbook while rifling through the pages. The recipes just sound so good! The message here is definitely to focus on flavor and enjoy what you cook; the rest is just details. I can get behind that.
• Who would enjoy this book? New vegans or people considering veganism; long-time vegans looking for new dishes; anyone wanting to eat a little healthier without sacrificing flavor or favorite dishes in the coming year.
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet by Terry Hope Romero
• Visit Terry Hope Romero’s website: Vegan Latina
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)