Turn a Hard-Boiled Egg into a Power Breakfast
Looking for a snack that fills you up and fuels you well? The humble hard-boiled egg is a small powerhouse of nutrition, but easily overlooked. We’re upgrading the boiled egg in 10 sexy, spicy, flavor-jammed ways for better snacking.
If you have yet to get acquainted with savory oatmeal, a hard-boiled egg is the gateway ingredient that will make you fall in love with this satisfying start to the day. It’s that extra punch of protein, along with cool avocado and a drizzle of hot sauce, that turns a regular bowl of oats into the kind of breakfast bowl that will power you through the morning and may even become the way you do oatmeal for lunch.
First, Make Your Hard-Boiled Eggs
Before you can transform your basic hard-boiled egg into a satisfying snack or quick meal, you’ve got to cook it. There are a couple methods — choose the one that’s best for you.
1. On the stovetop: This is the classic cooking method for making hard-boiled eggs, and the one we lean on when cooking just a few eggs at a time. Once the pot of eggs comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and set a timer to get the eggs cooked just the way you like them.
- For firm yet still creamy hard-boiled eggs: 7 minutes
- For very firm hard-boiled eggs: 9 minutes
- For firm yet still creamy hard-boiled eggs: 7 to 8 minutes
- For very firm hard-boiled eggs: 9 to 10 minutes
Top Your Oatmeal with an Egg
Start with a bowl of your favorite type of oatmeal — the kind you make is totally up to you, although we’re partial to steel-cut oatmeal.
Make steel-cut oatmeal: How To Cook Steel-Cut Oats in 30 Minutes
Top the oats with a sliced hard-boiled egg, 1/2 of an avocado (sliced or cut into chunks), and a drizzle of hot sauce.
Upgrade a Hard-Boiled Egg
All it takes is a little inspiration to transform a hard-boiled egg from a basic peel-and-eat snack to one that’s supremely satisfying — even meal-worthy! This series will open your eyes to all the ways to upgrade the beloved hard-boiled egg with the help of no more than three basic pantry ingredients.