True Grits: 8 Luscious Breakfast Recipes with Grits
Contrary to their name, grits are creamy, rich, and anything but gritty. Just take a look at these eight recipes!
For the non-Southerner, the first introduction to grits often comes in the form of that most excellent of breakfasts: Shrimp and Grits. But there’s a whole world of grit recipes out there to discover!
1. Maple Grits Pudding with Pecan Streusel from Gourmet – This breakfast casserole is the embodiment of comfort.
2. Poached Eggs with Bacon Grits and Wilted Spinach from Martha Stewart – Bacon grits? Say no more.
3. Grits, Cheese, and Onion Souffle from The Nesting Project – Love this idea.
4. Warm Sweet Grits with Strawberry Compote from Food & Wine – Perfect for that first pint of early summer strawberries.
5. Grits with Corn and Green Onions from Simply Recipes – A simple porridge for a cool morning.
6. Sweet Potato and Grits Spoonbread from Fine Cooking – A cross between a pudding and a souffle, this sounds like a delicious brunch dish.
7. Grits and Greens Casserole from Savour Fare – An almost-meatless version of another Southern classic.
8. Old-Fashioned Creamy Grits from Saveur – And at least once, you should try grits straight up. With plenty of butter and cream, of course.
What’s your favorite way to eat grits?
(Image: Stephanie Foley/Gourmet)