How to Turn a $20 Trader Joe’s Trip into the Ultimate Snack Board
If you’re the type of person who can happily nosh on a snack board in place of dinner, Trader Joe’s is the place for you. Beyond having an incredible selection of frozen meals, affordable staples, and a constant cycle of new products being released, Trader Joe’s is the spot for premium snacks. So the next time you decide to take it easy and build a snack board for dinner, make sure to hit up Trader Joe’s.
When building my TJ’s snack boards I like to include six different snacks, each one coming from a different section of Trader Joe’s. With nothing more than $20 in my pocket I can create the ultimate snack board that has something for everyone. Here’s how I do it.
1. Start with a dip or spread.
I like to pick out a dip or spread first and build all of the other components around it. This way I can narrow all the snack options down to things that pair well dipped into it. I typically stick with hummus, but Trader Joe’s has countless fun dips to choose from. A few options to get you started are as follows:
- My pick: Roasted Garlic Hummus, $1.99
- Tomato Basil Hummus Dip, $1.99
- Vegan Tzatziki Dip, $3.99
- Original Hummus, $2.49
- Everything But The Bagel Greek Style Yogurt Dip, $3.49
2. Search the produce section for crunchy veggies.
To keep things fresh, I like to pick out a crunchy veggie to include on my snack board. You can’t really go wrong here and should pick out any fresh veggie your heart desires. These are a few of my go-to choices.
- My pick: Celery Hearts, $2.49
- English Cucumber, $1.79
- Jicama Sticks, $2.79
3. Hit up the frozen section.
To bulk up my snack board, I like to wander the frozen section for fun bite-sized appetizers and other treats. There are no real rules here, so just pick out any fun, small bites you can quickly bake or air-fry to include on your board! I currently love the following:
- My pick: Parmesan Pastry Pups, $4.49
- Breaded Fried Ravioli, $3.99
- Mac and Cheese Bites, $3.99
4. Add some nuts.
Trader Joe’s nuts section features a vast selection of fun nut mixes, ranging from classic salted almonds to unexpected flavors. I like to buy one of the fun ones and add it to my snack board to keep things exciting. My current favorites are as follows:
- My pick: Chile and Garlic Cashews, $3.99
- Savory Banana and Nut Trex Mix, $2.99
- Everything But The Bagel Nut Duo, $3.99
5. Explore the chip aisle for salty snacks.
Trader Joe’s has the best salty snacks, and just about any of them make perfect additions to a snack board. I like to mix it up and include items like crispy chickpeas, chips, crackers, or cheese puffs. Here are some that I’ve picked up recently.
- My pick: Honey Wheat Pretzel Sticks, $1.99
- Crisp Crunchy Crisps, $2.29
- Pretzel Slims, $2.29
6. Pick out a fancy cheese.
Just about everyone’s favorite section of Trader Joe’s is the cheese aisle, and for good reason! Trader Joe’s has a huge selection of high-quality cheeses that are surprisingly affordable. I recommend picking out a fun cheese to include on your snack board — something firm, soft, or spreadable. These are three of my personal favorites to include on my snack board.
- My pick: Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese, $4.99 per pound
- New Zealand Sharp Cheddar Cheese, $6.49 per pound
- British Mustard and Ale Cheddar Cheese, $3.49 each
My total snack board cost: $19.94
What are you favorite Trader Joe’s snack-night picks? Let us know in the comments!