The $2 Trader Joe’s Grocery I Keep Stashed in My Freezer at All Times
I’m not alone in thinking that frozen peas are the bee’s knees. Many chefs suggest that, in some instances, they’re superior to fresh peas. Luckily, Trader Joe’s carries some of my favorite frozen peas, so I can easily grab a bag whenever I shop there and keep them stashed in my freezer.
What’s So Great About Trader Joe’s Organic Frozen Peas?
I’ve sampled many brands of frozen peas, and I keep coming back to Trader Joe’s Organic variety. These peas are plump and pop with sweetness in your mouth, and are rounded out with pleasing grassy notes that taste like spring. The verdant green hue of the peas brightens any dish they’re added to, but I could probably just as easily eat half a bag on their own, bathed in warm butter and finished with flaky salt and cracked black pepper.
They also happen to be certified organic and non-GMO, and are just $1.99 for a 16-ounce package. That’s a bit of a splurge when compared to the $1.49 price tag on Trader Joe’s regular petite peas, but I think the extra cost is well worth it.
What Should You Make with Trader Joe’s Organic Frozen Peas?
Frozen peas really do lend themselves to innumerable uses, but here are just a few ideas to get you started. And word to the wise: You might want to have more than one bag in your freezer.
- Use them to elevate your ricotta toast.
- Pump up your instant ramen (this brand from H-Mart is a personal favorite) with a palmful of frozen peas plopped in at the end of cooking so they keep their bright color and delicate texture — the peas are so small they cook in moments.
- Whiz them up with a splash of stock for a lively homemade “fresh” pea soup.
- For breakfast, brunch, or a snack, nest your peas in soft-scrambled eggs with Sriracha and cilantro on sourdough toast.
- They shine brightest in their purest expression: as the star of the show in classic French braised peas and butter lettuce.
Find it in stores: Trader Joe’s Organic Frozen Peas, $1.99 for 16 ounces
Let us know some of your favorite ways to use frozen peas in the comments.