Top Five Ways to Use Caramelized Onions
Ok, so you’ve probably gathered by now that we go a bit head-over-heels for caramelized onions here at the Kitchn. We’ve talked about how we make big batches, use them in everything, and then freeze the extra. Well, just what do we mean by “everything”? Read on for our favorite uses for caramelized onions and tell us yours!
1. Salads: Thin ribbons of caramelized onions add great texture and flavor to any green salad, and they are our choice for our make-ahead pasta salad lunches. Caramelized onions are also great in grain or bean salads served warm or room temperature.
• Make-Ahead Lunch Template: Pasta Salad with Veggies, Cheese, and Greens
• Florida Butter Beans with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
• Warm Farro Salad with Roasted Vegetables and Fontina
3. Pizza or Savory Tart Topping: If you’re feeling gourmet, try caramelized onions on top of homemade pizza! We like them best when paired with just a few other toppings so that the flavors of each can stand out. Try these combos:
• Grilled Potato, Gorgonzola, and Proscuitto with Caramelized Onions
• Goat Cheese, Caramelized Onions, and Basil
• Caramelized Onion, Fig, and Arugula
4. Pasta Dishes: Onions form the base of almost all of our pasta sauces, and taking the cooking just a little further into the caramelized stage gives the same sauce just a little more depth and character.
What are your favorite ways to use caramelized onions?
Related: How to Caramelize Onions