7 Recipes That Can Be Made Faster (and Better) in the Toaster Oven
I read recently that the toaster oven, that old-fashioned behemoth of an appliance long replaced by the microwave, is making a comeback. Well, in my kitchen it never left! To be honest, though, I’m enjoying a renaissance of toaster oven use in the kitchen, and it is all my fiance’s doing. Once I realized the ease of having a mini oven heat up in no time, I couldn’t imagine getting rid of it.
Here are six ways to put the toaster oven to use beyond, you know, making toast.
The humble toaster oven does a few things better than regular sized ovens: It heats up fast and it actually toasts things. Wouldn’t just about anything you’d warm (ok, short of liquids) in the microwave be better toasted?
Here are six recipes that can be made more easily and quickly in the toaster oven.
7 Recipes That Are Great in the Toaster Oven
- Frozen Scones – We’ve talked before about how you can freeze scone dough and just bake off one or two at a time in the morning. Well, the toaster oven heats up faster and gets the job done. Try these Apricot Yogurt Scones or Grain-Free Lemon and Blueberry Scones.
- Lemon Thyme Bruschetta – Make a small batch of these simple appetizers by toasting baguette slices and topping with lemon thyme ricotta drizzled with honey — hors d’oeuvres ready in 10 minutes!
- Za’atar Pita Chips – Instead of buying pita chips, make your own!
- Indoor S’mores – A great excuse to make s’mores for two! Leave the top graham cracker off and assemble as usual. Toast until the marshmallows are golden brown and top with remaining graham cracker.
- Sweet & Savory Roasted Cashews – A toaster oven is perfect for quickly toasting a batch of nuts.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies – Make just two cookies with this recipe — the perfect size for any toaster oven.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Swap out making this classic sandwich in a pan for the toaster oven for a no mess dinner. Be sure to flip the sandwich and pay attention to where the heating elements are on your toaster oven to avoid funky toasting!
And don’t forget, the toaster oven is fabulous for re-heating anything that needs a little crunch like pizza, French fries, skillet potatoes and sandwiches!
What’s your favorite use for your toaster oven?
Get the Kitchn Daily in your inbox.