Times Top 5: Thanksgiving Staples You Can Make AheadFrom the NY Times Dining Section 11.12.08
Oh, to have been in Melissa Clark’s kitchen when she was baking these Parker House rolls with cranberry butter. They’re just the beginning, by the way. She bakes four kinds of bread for her column in today’s Times, all with dough she made ahead of time and froze. Read about the others, plus lots of other Thanksgiving tips, below…
1. Melissa Clark makes four kinds of bread. Along with the cranberry rolls, above, there are cheddar and scallion biscuits, anadama bread (a new one for us), and corn and black pepper crackers. She also has a new baby—congratulations!
2. Desserts that freeze well. A bunch of great tips on which pies and cakes do well in the freezer and how to re-heat them properly.
3. An easier alternative to a whole turkey. Bittman braises turkey parts.
4. Should you brine your turkey? Harold McGee doesn’t. Here’s why.
5. Things you don’t know about cranberries. Not all of them are harvested in flooded bogs.
(Image: Andrew Scrivani for The New York Times)