Times Top 5: A Pattern for Sour DrinksFrom the NY Times Dining Section 06.25.08
This week the Times dining section has a special issue – it’s all about drinks! We were hard pressed to choose just five favorite things this week, but we managed. Here are our top picks, including some great blender drinks, a master pattern for sour cocktails, and more.
- The Times’ illustrious tasting panel skips beer and liquor for… soft drinks? The best root beers in the land – on tap here.
- The blender’s back in the spotlight Most bartenders loathe the blender and its lineup of fruity, silly drinks. But a few bars are bringing back blended drinks that are worth a second sip.
- A pattern for sours from the Minimalist Mark Bittman helps us master a basic pattern for nearly every classic cocktail you can imagine.
- Croque-Monsieur! But it’s not all just drinks – there’s good bar food too, including the ultimate sandwich to pair with drinks.
- Aged beer? Cellars – they’re not just for wine, apparently!
Related: Last week’s Times Top 5: Green Garlic and Banana Popsicles
(Top image: Tony Cenicola for the New York Times)