This Time Last Year: Strawberries, Muscadet, Spanish-Fried Eggs, and the Mozzacado
We’re always trying to move with the seasons here, and sometimes it’s helpful to look back at what we were talking about at this precise time a year ago. Here’s a look at some of the May food on the blog a year ago this week. There’s an ooey-gooey sandwich, Spanish-fried eggs, a hilarious debate over oyster feelings, and more.
A Year Ago This Week – May 27-June 2
• Why we stopped drinking bottled water.
• This one got people all hot and bothered: Good Question: Is It Cruel to Throw Away Oysters?
• We did this again this morning – a favorite egg technique: How to Fry an Egg the Spanish Way
• Any ripe tomatoes yet? When there are, try this Mozzacado Sandwich. Ooey and yummy.
• More IKEA pantry! (We do think some of their imported stuff is great.) The Jam Report: Hafi Black Currant Preserves
• Union Square Greenmarket? Not much happening, except strawberries.
• Getting really fine purees and textures: cooking with a tamis (pronounced “tammy”).
• Vino: 2005 Domaine de la Batardiere Muscadet – a zippy white wine, perfect with oysters.
• Light, quick dinner: Spicy Broccoli Tofu Stir-Fry
• This recipe takes advantage of another favorite quick frying technique – this time for fish. Catfish with Lemon Basil Cream Sauce
• Need to freshen up the cookbook collection for summer? Scavenger: Summer Cookbook Suggestions