The Soup & Bread Cookbook by Beatrice Ojakangas
Soup and bread go together like fork and spoon. BFFs 4EVR. How brilliant to have them together in one cookbook! In The Soup & Bread Cookbook from much-loved cookbook author Beatrice Ojakangas, we get a huge variety of cozy soups side by side with their perfect baked bread companion. It provides ample excuses to turn on the oven and warm up the kitchen, and as the days get crisper and darker, I will be hugging this book close.
• Who wrote it: Beatrice Ojakangas
• Who published it: Rodale
• Number of recipes: Over 100
• Recipes for right now: Autumn Root Vegetable Chowder, Oatmeal Batter Bread, Moroccan Vegetable Soup with Couscous, Olive Flatbread, Finnish Chanterelle Soup, Rye and Barley Bread, Ezekiel Bread, German Potato Soup in a Pumpernickel Bowl
• Other highlights: In my opinion, we cooks can never have too many soup recipes at our disposal, and Beatrice Ojakangas gives us plenty. This cookbook has a mix of classic recipes like Leek & Potato and Senate Bean Soup along with lots of creative soup combinations that play with spices and combinations in new ways. I particularly love the recipes that draw on Ojakangas’ Scandinavian heritage, like Finnish Chanterelle Soup, Dutch Cheese Soup, and Swedish Christmas Eve Soup.
With the soups and breads appearing side-by-side, I start to realize how they make a meal that is more than the sum of its parts. I tend to view bread as a vehicle for sopping up the last drips from the bottom of the bowl, but in Ojakangas’ hands, it’s obvious that the relationship has much more potential. Flavors and spices compliment each other and elevate the meal — like cheese papusas paired with a southwestern tortilla soup and a German lentil soup with caraway popovers.
Another thing: Ojakangas gets really inventive with her breads. There are dinner rolls and rustic whole wheat rounds, to be sure, but also flatbreads, crackers, popovers, muffins, and biscuits. Seeing all of these makes me realize how boring I’ve been with my standard soup and dinner roll pairing! It’s a big bread-filled world out there, folks.
Don’t think that you’ll be putting this book away come springtime — the book is arranged seasonally, and there are plenty of fantastic ideas for putting spring greens and summer vegetables to work in soups and breads. This is definitely a year-round kitchen companion.
• Who would enjoy this book? Anyone who likes a cozy kitchen and a pot of soup on the stove.
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: The Soup & Bread Cookbook by Beatrice Ojakangas
• Visit the author’s website: Beatrice Ojakangas
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)