When my girls were little, my parents had this hand-me-down high chair they would haul out for visits. It was just brutal. It was big and bulky, even when it was folded closed, with these plasticky-looking feet and an ostensibly comfy seat cushion that would catch crumbs in the stitching. Sure, it was functional in that it held the kids up to table height for meals, but man that thing was ugly!
In a small space, especially, it makes a difference to have a stylish high chair. Plus, you want a cool one in those early years when you're struggling between feeling like your formerly cool self and feeling like you've totally given in to being a parent. And you want something that'll look as cute as your baby in those Instagram photos.
Because you will be looking at that thing — and wiping strained spinach and spaghetti off it — every day for the next few years, here are a few high chairs that are actually stylish, and easy to clean, too.
- Tuo Convertible High Chair, $160 at Skip Hop: This sleek chair has slim beechwood legs and a minimal seat that make it vaguely reminiscent of Eames chairs, plus a reversible, wipe-clean foam seat.
- Zaaz, $300 at Nuna: With futuristic styling and one crevice-free pad for baby, the stainless accents on the Zazz will help it fit right in with your industrial-grade appliances. And it'll grow with your child, so it'll last just as long as everything else in your kitchen.
- Tripp Trapp, from $249 at Stokke: Another furniture-like piece made of all wood, this one's available in a variety of stains to fit right in next to your existing table and chairs — plus, no fabric bits to clean!
- Sprout Chair, $250 at OXO: Available in a plethora of color combos, this adjustable chair also has wipe-clean cushions, which pull up easily for a deeper scrub. (Full disclosure, this is the one I had for my girls and I am sentimentally attached to it.)
- High Chair, $300 at 4moms: This chair features a narrower frame and a streamlined footprint in industrial, inoffensive colors. Plus, magnets hold the tray in position, so it's easy to take off when your baby's covered in food.
- BabyBjorn High Chair, $170 at Target: This baby chair kinda looks like a rocket! Plus there are no cushions to clean, at all. The tray comes off entirely for cleaning, too.
- Flair, $250 at Boon: The hefty pedestal base gives this high chair the feel of a retro bar stool — or maybe, if you squint your eyes, could appeal to fans of the Tulip table?
- Poppy, $120 at Phil&Teds: Forget blending in — this perky chair (with a wipe-clean seat) might add just the pop of color your kitchen was asking for. And when your kid gets older, it transforms into a regular (and still colorful!) seat.
- ANTILOP High Chair, $20 at IKEA: Leave it to IKEA to get down to the basics — a slim frame and inoffensive white-and-steel design at an unbeatable price.
- JOOVY Nook High Chair, from $80: This cute high chair folds up easily if you need the space when it's not time for a meal.
Do you have a favorite high chair? Tell us about it in the comments below!