The Midnight Munchies: 5 Simple Snacks to Eat After Dark
Scenario: You come home late after drinks with friends. Dinner was many, many hours ago and now you’re hungry again. So, what do you eat before going to bed that won’t make you groggy the next day? I admit that more often than not, my sights are set on the cheesiest pizza I can get my grubby hands on, but I know that’s not usually the best option. Let’s change that.
Here are 5 simple snacks you can make when hunger strikes after midnight. Nothing fancy, just something satisfying that will tide you over till breakfast.
Besides pizza, what other foods or meals do you find yourself gravitating toward after midnight? I’m sure some of you probably go for the dinner leftovers (I know I do). It’s easy and it’s already made for you, but depending on what it is, you might be better off saving it for tomorrow’s lunch.
Remember: You don’t need to turn on the stove to have something that hits the spot – these simple snacks will save the day (er, night).
5 Snacks for the Midnight Munchies
These are all snacks you can make without any foresight. You just need a few ingredients, a little time, and a rumbling stomach. Go forth and eat!
1. Yogurt. Dress your yogurt up with some fun mix-ins, like peanut butter and graham crackers.
2. Avocado Toast. An ideal breakfast AND midnight snack. Cut an avocado into thin slices, put it on some toast, and drizzle some olive oil and sea salt over the whole thing. Easy as pie (but a whole lot better for you).
3. Popcorn. This simple snack is so easy to make and will fill you up without bogging you down. All you need is a paper bag, a microwave, and some popcorn kernels! Watch our video for your late night popcorn needs. Add mix-ins like minced rosemary or thyme for something extra special.
4. Hummus with Veggies. Hummus has just the right amount of protein to keep you full until morning, and when paired with some vegetables, it’s the perfectly healthy snack. Make your own hummus – it’s so easy!
5. Mug Cakes. Mug cakes were made for midnight munchies. If you’re craving something sweet, Faith’s Oatmeal Nutella Mug Cake is easy enough to make, won’t make a lot of noise in the kitchen, and is just the right size.
What are your favorite midnight snacks that won’t make you feel awful the next day?
It’s Reader Request Week at The Kitchn!
This post was requested by Margaret_M