The Macaroon Bible by Dan Cohen
If you grew up gnawing on overly sugary, strangely damp, all-around unappetizing macaroons, as I did, it’s time to give them another chance. In Dan Cohen’s hands, macaroons become a treat with hitherto unknown potential. Classic crunchy coconut macaroons and macaroons spiked with bourbon, jam-stuffed macaroons and macaroon s’mores sandwich cookies (oh, mama) — The Macaroon Bible will make you a believer.
• Who wrote it: Dan Cohen
• Who published it: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
• Number of recipes: Over 40
• Recipes for right now: Chocolate-Almond Macaroons, Salted Caramel Macaroons, Eggnog Macaroons, Rice Pudding Macaroons, Gingersnap Macaroons, Coconut S’mores Macaroons, Chestnut-Rum Macaroons
• Other highlights: Before reading The Macaroon Bible, I had never fully considered what a blank slate a macaroon can be. The classic vanilla macaroon (when done right!) is a perfection of crunchy coconut edges and slightly gooey center, and very often, that’s good enough for me.
But this same two-bite treat can really be used as the foundation for, well, just about anything. I love how Dan Cohen plays with spices, like cinnamon and ginger in his Domino cookies and a dash of coriander in another. I am also immediately a fan of anything whimsical and playful, so I feel an immediate draw toward recipes like his Peanut Butter & Jelly Macaroons and the Rice Pudding Macaroons. These would be such a fun and unexpected treat in a lunchbox or air-mailed cookie delivery!
Some of you might recognize Dan Cohen as the founder and creative mind behind Danny Macaroons (link below). If you’ve ever coveted a box of his Maple Pecan Pie Macaroons or Salted Caramel Macaroons, this book lets us whip up a batch any time we like!
• Who would enjoy this book? Coconut fiends, people looking for a gluten-free treat (most macaroons are naturally gluten-free!), anyone who’s ever been spurned by a bad macaroon and is ready to give them another chance.
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: The Macaroon Bible by Dan Cohen
• Visit the author’s website: Dan Cohen
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.