The Kitchn’s Guide to Essential Cleaning Tools and Products
What are the essential tools and equipment every cook needs in the kitchen? Whether you’re setting up a kitchen for the first time or else looking to pare back down to the basics, our Essentials Guides are here to help. We’ve already shared our guides to essential prep tools and utensils, cooking tools, cookware, baking pans, and small electric appliances. Today we look at the cleaning tools and solutions needed to keep all those things in good shape!
As in our last guide, we’ve offered a few product recommendations in each category based on personal preferences, experience, and editor and reader reviews. Most of these tools can be bought on Amazon, but a terrific and cost-effective resource for basic kitchen tools is a restaurant supply store. Just buy the best quality you can afford!
3. Non-or Lightly Abrasive Scrubbing Pads
Totally essential for hard-to-clean pots and pans. We particularly love these scrub pads because they work on non-stick pans, cast-iron skillets (without soap!), enamel-coated dishes, and regular stainless steel pots, all without leaving any scratches.
• Scrub Pads ($1.50) – See our review here.
• Spaghetti Scrubbers, Set of 2 ($10.95)
4. Steel Wool
For heavy duty scrubbing (think stovetop grates, inside the oven), steel wool is the answer. But be careful! It’s very abrasive and will scratch certain surfaces, so always do a test first.
• Super Fine Steel Wool ($3.98)
8. A Grease-Cutting Dish Soap
Dawn is admittedly the most effective dish soap for cutting grease, but if you’re looking for a non-petroleum based dish soap, Ecover and Method are some of the top choices for grease-fighting.
Readers, what are your essentials cleaning tools and products?
The Kitchn’s Other ‘Essentials’ Guides
• The Kitchn’s Guide to Essential Prep Tools and Utensils
• The Kitchn’s Guide to Essential Cooking Tools and Utensils
• The Kitchn’s Guide to Essential Cookware
• The Kitchn’s Guide to Essential Baking Pans
• The Kitchn’s Guide to Essential Small Electric Appliances