The Kitchn Cure Day 13: Wednesday, August 27
Assignment: Declutter dishware, glassware, utensils, gadgets, and tools. Make a list of anything you need. (See all the assignments so far here)
Sign Up: Sign up here for The Kitchn Cure
Do your cupboards runneth over? Is your utensil drawer starting to look like a survival of the fittest contest? Have you accumulated one too many kitchen gadgets? It's time to clear out and declutter the guts of our kitchen, the insides of the cabinets and drawers where we store our everyday dishes, mugs, and utensils. Are you ready?
Today's Assignment (estimated time: 1 hour)
- Take a "Before" photo of the inside of your kitchen cabinets and drawers: By now you know the drill: we want to see what what your utensil/tool drawer and the inside of your kitchen cabinets looked like before a major reorganization. Are your drawers a jumbled mess of interlocking whisks, spoons, and spatulas? Holding on to a few chipped mugs and cracked plates? Has your cupboard setup lost all rhyme and reason? Take a few photos and post it to your Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or Facebook account, and use the hashtag #kitchncure.
- Declutter your dishware and glassware: Remove all your plates, bowls, mugs, glasses, and other dishware from their storage areas and set them out on a table. Decide what you want to keep and what you want to give away. Do you need four plastic travel mugs? Are you ever really going to glue that cracked plate back together? Decide what's important, beautiful, and useful to you, and put the rest in your giveaway box.
- Declutter your utensils and tools: Dump out the utensil crock on your countertop, and unload the kitchen drawer(s). Sort through all your prep, cooking, and eating utensils — the whisks and wooden spoons, spatulas, scrapers, stand mixer attachments, and measuring spoons, the plastic chopsticks and mismatched silverware — and decide what to keep, what to give away, and what to discard. Additionally, make a list of any glaring omissions in your collection. What? You don't have a single large serving spoon? And no tongs?!
- Declutter your cooking gadgets: Kitchen gadgets are a very personal thing — one woman's avocado slicer is another man's useless unitasker! We're not going to tell you what to get rid of; instead, we want you to consider your gadgets and decide what really works for you — no judgement! So you love your strawberry huller? Keep it. Just add anything you really don't want or use regularly to your giveaway box.
- Get ready to clean! Now that the decluttering is over, you're ready to clean your cabinet shelves and drawers. But we're going to do that tomorrow, so you're done for today!
The Kitchn Cure Liveblog
Follow the progress of The Kitchn Cure in a real live kitchen in our liveblog: