King of Condiments: 5 Ways to Use Mustard in Everyday Cooking
Good old mustard. It’s so essential to a good deli sandwich or a stand-out vinaigrette, and yet rarely gets the recognition it deserves. Here are a few ways to bring that jar out more often.
• 1. With Potatoes – Potatoes and mustard are natural buddies. Adding a vinegary snap of mustard to creamy potatoes makes them somehow more than they are on their own. Potato salad is the obvious embodiment of this friendship, but also try a bit of mustard in mashed potatoes, twice baked potatoes, and tossed with roasted potatoes just before they go in the oven.
• 2. With Eggs – Think deviled eggs. Think egg salad. Think outside the box and add a dab of mustard to dishes like omelets, frittatas, and breakfast scrambles.
• 3. With Fish – As with potatoes, mustard perks up the flavor of a simple fish fillet. Adding mustard to the marinade, rubbing it in just before grilling, or serving mustard alongside a finished dish are all tasty options.
• 4. With Casseroles – Try mixing a good squeeze of mustard into your next casserole, be it mac n’ cheese, shepherd’s pie, or chickpea and kale. It adds a certain je ne sais quoi that will keep your tastebuds happy bite after bite.
• 5. With Roasted, Braised, or Steamed Vegetables – Mustard is a super easy way of taking veggies from blah to brilliant. Just whisk mustard with melted butter and drizzle over vegetables or greens just before serving.
Do you have some favorite ways to use mustard in your cooking?
Related: 6 DIY Mustard Recipes