The Honey Connoisseur by C. Marina Marchese & Kim Flottum
With honey fraud on the rise, now seems an ideal time to discover the truly wonderful varieties of regional honey produced in the US. Readers of The Honey Connoisseur by C. Marina Marchese and Kim Flottum will learn all this and more in a volume that treats honey with the respect and detail usually given to wine or cheese.
• Who wrote it: C. Marina Marchese & Kim Flottum
• Who published it: Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers
• Number of recipes: 5, plus suggestions for making honey drizzles and infusing honey
• Recipes for right now: Tomato, Peach, Basil and Summer Honey Salad; Honey butter with fresh garden sage; Fresh rose petals infused in black locust honey
• Other highlights: Though it contains a handful of recipes, this isn’t a cookbook; rather, it’s guide to selecting, tasting, and pairing honey. Anyone who loves honey will be fascinated learning about the history, science, and art of honey; the different kinds; and the effect of terroir on flavor. Thirty varietals are discussed, with tasting notes and descriptions of how bees interact with various flowers. There’s also a section on commercial honey production and how to read honey labels.
When you’re ready to host a honey tasting (and you’ll certainly be inspired to after reading this book!) there are charts, scorecards, glossaries, and other suggestions to help you conduct your own sensory experience. There’s also a section on pairing honey with cheese and other foods, with suggested combinations and helpful notes on why they work.
• Who would enjoy this book? Honey lovers, of course, plus beekeepers, locavores, and people who want to have fun with honey tastings — this would be a great party idea!
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: The Honey Connoisseur: Selecting, Tasting, and Pairing Honey, With a Guide to More than 30 Varietals by C. Marina Marchese & Kim Flottum
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emily Han)