The Grocery Store Items Our Readers Always Splurge On
I’m always thinking about how to save on groceries. And while I’m all for sticking to a budget and living within my means, there are a few groceries that are just too delicious to sacrifice in the name of money. I know I’d eat ramen for a week if that’s what I had to do in order to afford an amazing French triple-creme cheese to spread on my favorite crackers during date night at home!
Some things are just worth the money (and almonds are a relatively small splurge compared to, say, diamonds, right?). So we asked you, dear readers, what groceries you’re actually willing to spend money on — and we quickly got more than 1,000 responses in a very short period of time!
Here you’ll find the top 10, plus a smattering of random delicacies.
Top 10 Grocery Store Splurges from Kitchn Readers
- Fancy butter: French, Welsh, Danish, Amish, Irish, or from the local farm, this is the number-one splurge among our food-loving readers!
- Heirloom tomatoes: In season, from the farmers market; the weirder the color, the better.
- Artisan bread: Sourdough, baguettes, artisan-made — people will apparently drive 20 miles to their secret source.
- Fine olive oil: Ideally from California — or your local go-to.
- Good coffee: Local or from your favorite region.
- Vanilla beans: The real kind, ideally from Madagascar.
- Toilet paper: Triple-ply is a weakness (and we hear they can’t get it in Canada).
- Quality cheese: From Parmigiano Teggiano and feta to Havarti and Brie, everyone’s got a favorite.
- Fresh eggs: Local, organic, pasture-raised, and farm-fresh.
- Chocolate: At least 70 percent dark or orange-infused, please.
And 50 Other Splurges, in Alphabetical Order
- Aussie black licorice bites
- Balsamic vinegar
- Ben & Jerry’s dairy-free ice cream
- Black walnuts
- Cinnamon Jelly Belly candy
- Coke Zero
- Creamline milk
- Cut fruit
- Dried mangoes
- Fancy dog food
- Fiji water
- Fresh figs
- Fresh herbs
- Grass-fed filet mignon
- Hawaiian sweet rolls
- Hint of Lime tortillas
- Italian jarred tuna
- Lamb ribs
- Local cornmeal
- Loose-leaf tea
- Marcona almonds
- Mint Oreos
- Moondrop grapes
- Neese’s breakfast sausage
- Palisade beaches
- Pure maple syrup
- Quality canned tomatoes
- Ranch dressing
- Raw honey
- Real cinnamon
- Real cream
- Saffron threads
- San Pellegrino
- Sesame oil
- Stone-ground grits
- Stonewall Kitchen preserves
- Stuffed green olives
- Thick-cut bacon
- Truffle salt
And now I feel like splurging and buying all of these things!
Were your splurges on these lists?