Fundamental Techniques of Classic Italian Cuisine by the International Culinary Center
Wow. This cookbook… Wow. Let’s just say that if you love pasta above all else, if you strive for risotto perfection, if you have spent time pondering the merits prosciutto from Parma verses San Daniele in your insalata, then this is most definitely the cookbook for you. Starting with an introduction to antipasti and ending with a guide to working with frozen desserts, The Fundamental Techniques of Classic Italian Cuisine contains an entire graduate course in Italian cooking.
• Who wrote it: The International Culinary Center with Cesare Casella and Stephanie Lyness
• Who published it: Stewart, Tabori & Chang
• Number of recipes: 200 recipes, plus more than 20 detailed lessons on technique
• Recipes for right now: Zuppa di Ceci (Chickpea Soup), Tortellini alla Bolognese, Gnocchi alla Romana, Risotto con Funghi (with Mushroom), Braciole (Stuffed and Rolled Beef), Roasted Pork Loin with Potatoes, Almond Cookies with Pine Nuts, Tiramisu, Chestnut Cake
• Other highlights: If the title didn’t already tip you off, this book is all about technique. Through detailed recipes, step-by-step photos, and lengthy descriptions of technique, you will absolutely learn everything you ever wanted to know about classic Italian cooking. And probably more.
The recipes are basic, but they are the building blocks for creating your own unique dishes. The headnotes give insightful historical and background information on each dish, while the recipe itself takes you through the way the ingredients should look, feel, and taste at every stage. You might get figuratively lost while thumbing through the pages and pages of techniques, but you certainly won’t get lost while making the recipe itself!
• Who would enjoy this book? Professional chefs, Italian cooking enthusiasts
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: The Fundamental Techniques of Classic Italian Cuisine by the International Culinary Center with Cesare Casella and Stephanie Lyness
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)