The Flying Brownie by Shirley Fan
Is there anything better than a care package?! Opening that box to see little packages of cookies and a handwritten note is like getting hugged by a rainbow. This new book The Flying Brownie by Shirley Fan is full of delicious ideas that are guaranteed to ship well — whether you’re sending a batch of brownies to a niece away at college or to a loved one in the military serving overseas.
• Who wrote it: Shirley Fan
• Who published it: Harvard Common Press
• Number of recipes: About 100
• Recipes for right now: Cherry Crumble Bars, Buzz! Buzz! Chocolate Espresso Brownies, Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies, Almond-Pistachio Chewies, Chewy Mocha Caramels, Salted Nut Brittle, Earl Grey-Meyer Lemon Tea Bread, Black Pepper and Rosemary Crackers, Baked Banana Chips
• Other highlights: This is such a good resource! Rather than scouring cookbooks and trying to determine how fragile this cookie might actually be or whether the sugar in this pound cake might make it go moldy before delivery, this book is a one-stop shop for baked goods guaranteed to be shippable. I like that Shirley Fan includes both sweet and savory recipes — I often like to include a variety of little nibbles in my packages.
Almost as valuable as the recipes themselves is the introductory section on “Care Packages 101.” Here, Shirley covers everything from choosing the right goodies to ship and packaging them artfully to correctly addressing packages going to overseas military personnel. Whatever question you may have about making sure your treats arrive safely and un-crumbled, you’ll find an answer here.
Also, don’t think you’re limited to just care packages here! These recipes are great for taking on road trips, camping trips, airplane flights, or just packing up for your next picnic.
• Who would enjoy this book? Bakers who love sharing their goodies with friends near and far
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: The Flying Brownie by Shirley Fan
• Visit the author’s website: Shirley Fan
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
This post was requested by stefica01 for Reader Request Week 2013.
(Images: Emma Christensen)