The Best Ways to Store Leftover Pie
We independently select these products—if you buy from one of our links, we may earn a commission. All prices were accurate at the time of publishing.
Deciding where to put leftover pie has always been tricky for me. On one hand, I would love to put everything in the fridge just to be on the safe side, but the leftover turkey and side dishes are usually also battling it out for space. On the other hand, I wonder if I’m ruining the texture of certain pies by refrigerating them when most people would just leave them out on the counter.
So what’s the answer? Here’s a guide to the three main types of pies and whether they can be left out or should be refrigerated. And yes, you can even freeze some of them. Read on to find out which ones!
Custard, Cream, Mousse, and Chiffon Pies
- Refrigerate? Always keeps these pies refrigerated until you’re ready to serve, especially if there’s whipped cream on top. These pies can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Freeze? These pies do not freeze successfully, so don’t bother. Eat up!
Pies Containing Eggs in the Filling (Pumpkin, Pecan)
- Refrigerate? Always keeps these pies refrigerated, although you can warm them up for serving. These pies can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Freeze? Pumpkin and pecan pies can be frozen, although they will lose some integrity in texture — the filling may separate a bit and the crust will get soggy. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil or place in a freezer bag. These pies can be frozen for up to two months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
- Refrigerate? These pies can be kept covered with plastic wrap or foil at room temperature for up to two days. After that, they can be stored in the refrigerator for two more days.
- Freeze? Fruit pies actually freeze quite well! Place them uncovered in the freezer until frozen solid, then wrap in plastic wrap or foil and place back in the freezer for up to four months. Thaw at room temperature for one hour and then reheat at 375°F until warm, which should take about 30 minutes.