The Best Cheese Desserts on the Web The Cheesemonger
In the spirit of this month’s Escapes theme, the cheesemonger in me got to thinking: How do I escape with cheese? Just how and when does cheese have the ability to transport me to a different place? There are lots of ways, indeed, to answer the question. Bloomy rinded cheeses? Perhaps triple cremes, specifically? Or fondue? Nope, I’ve got to go with cheese desserts. And here’s a roundup of some of the best on the web.
Desserts with cheese are so soul-satisfying because they so often have both creamy and tart components. And since salt is a major component of any cheese, making most cheeses more savory than sweet, it’s a nice contrast to make them a major focus in a dessert. Maybe it’s for this reason that cheese desserts are so satiating: it’s that perpetually-satisfying combination of salty and sweet.
The Best Cheese Desserts We Could Find
• Goat Cheese Cheesecake from Clinton Hill Foodie
• Honey Ricotta Cheesecake from Giada de Laurentiis
• The Nibble’s roundup of ice creams made with cheese, including Ferran Adrià’s Parmesan Ice Cream Sandwich recipe, Charlie Trotter’s Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Figs, and a recipe for Buttermilk Blue Cheese Ice Cream
• Deep-Dish Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust at Epicurious
• Lemon Mascarpone Charlottes from Tartelette
• Goat Cheese Custards with Strawberries with Red Wine Syrup from David Lebovitz
• Crescent Cheese Cookies (made with Pot Cheese) from Gourmet
• Pear and Goat Cheese Tart from Leite’s Culinaria
• Baked Pecorino Cheese with Honey and Walnuts from Veranda
What are your favorite desserts that involve cheese? Got anything that can top this list entirely? I want to know!
(Images, clockwise from left: Carolyne Roehm for Veranda; Romulo Yanes for Gourmet; The Nibble; Andy Ryan)