My younger brother just bought a slow cooker and texted me late one night asking for advice on classic slow cooker recipes he should know. Of course I sent him a few links to favorite recipes, but it got me thinking about the basic but brilliant things that a slow cooker can churn out for everyday eats. Here are the 12 slow cooker classics that every home cook should know by heart.
Best Breakfast Bets
Yes, you can and absolutely should cook breakfast in the slow cooker. These are the three recipes I reach for time and time again, whether I'm prepping for the week ahead or planning a big brunch for friends.
- How To Make Grits in the Slow Cooker
- Yes, You Can Make Crunchy Granola in the Slow Cooker
- How To Make a Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole in the Slow Cooker
Files these under "good to know." You'll probably only need them twice a year — they make plenty to freeze for future use, but they are brilliant upgrades to other meals.
Everyday Dinner Winners
Slow-cooked dinner is the whole reason you bought a slow cooker, isn't it? Give these simple stunners a try this week!
- How To Cook a Whole Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- How To Make Easy Shredded Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- How To Make Sloppy Joes in the Slow Cooker
- How To Make Crispy, Juicy Chicken Thighs in the Slow Cooker
These are three recipes that will feed a crowd. They're equally welcome on a tailgating Sunday as they might be on Christmas day.