This was a tough one, because, frankly, we're not sure we'd give up our favorite cranberry relish recipe. But if you want something fruity, tart, and sweet that's not made of cranberries, we've got some ideas. A couple close to the original, a couple that are way off the map. The recipe above has something special in it. Can you guess?
• 1. Cranberry, Quince, and Pearl Onion Compote with Cloves and Coriander Seeds, from Jane Spice. Quince! It's one of Faith's favorite Fall fruits. This recipe is full of it, along with onions for a little savory bite.
• 2. Poached Pears and Red Wine Syrup, from the Kitchn. We'd slice these in half, scoop out the seeds, and pile a little mixture of nuts and dried fruit in the middle. Then drizzle the syrup over the top.
• 3. Cran-Apple Chutney, from All You. Similar to classic cranberry relish, but more apple-heavy. We could see ourselves eating this by itself or scooping up a big bite with some turkey.
• 4. Beet and Pear Napoleons with Ginger Juice Vinaigrette, from Gourmet. A little off the beaten path... But it's the color of cranberries, right? We like the combination of fruit and vegetable- a tiny bit of sweet but almost like a salad.
• 5. Pear and Cranberry Sorbet, from Martha Stewart. Why not a cranberry-flavored palate cleanser? As if you need a pre-dessert on the way to regular dessert, but still... Pretty and refreshing.