Technique: Seasoning a Brand New Cast Iron Skillet
Here’s the step-by-step guide:
1. Pre-heat oven to 325°
2. Wash skillet with warm, soapy water and dry thoroughly.
3. Apply a thin coat of vegetable oil, or vegetable shortening with a paper towel on all surfaces, inside and out.
4. Place in oven on center rack, upside down. Place a baking sheet or a sheet of foil on the rack beneath to catch drippings.
5. Bake for an hour, then turn off heat, open door, and allow to cool inside oven before removing.
6. Skillet is now ready to use.
To wash, scrub with hot water and a brush without detergent. Never use sharp or metal utensils on it while cooking and never place in the dishwasher. If it finds its way into the dishwasher, don’t fret – just repeat seasoning process.