Tax Night Supper: The Spanglish Sandwich with Avocado
OK everybody — ‘fess up: are you staying up late tonight with your tax forms and W-2s? We sincerely hope not, but here’s the best supper we can think of for anyone with a late-night deadline: The infamous Spanglish Sandwich (with avocado).
Do you remember the Spanglish Sandwich? This was the sandwich that chef Thomas Keller developed for Adam Sandler to make in the movie Spanglish. It had to justify the title the “world’s greatest sandwich,” and by the way the recipe immediately flew around the internet, it did seem like it achieved that!
It’s basically a bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwich dressed up with a fried egg and drippy egg yolk. Delicious! It’s an indulgence for a busy night since it comes together quickly, and it’s filling without being too heavy. It’s comfort food and brain food at the same time. And if you want to dress it up just a little more, or leave off the egg, try topping it with avocado like in the top photo.
We first published this recipe several years ago — here it is again.
World’s Greatest Sandwich
from Thomas Keller
makes 1 sandwich
3-4 slices of bacon
2 slices of Monterey Jack cheese
2 slices of toasted rustic country loaf (pain de campagne)
1 tbsp of mayo
4 tomato slices
2 leaves of butter lettuce (yes, it’s called butter lettuce)
1 teaspoon butter
1. Cook the bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels
2. Place slices of cheese on one side of toasted bread. Place in toaster oven or under broiler to melt.
3. Spread mayo on other slice of bread top with bacon, sliced tomato, and lettuce
4. On non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Fry egg, turning over briefly when the bottom is set (keep yolk runny)
5. Slide finished egg on top of lettuce, top with other slice of bread (cheese-side down genius)
6. Place sandwich on plate and slice in half, letting yolk run down sandwich