Sleepless Nights: Drinks to Make You Sleepy
Between the shifting daylight hours and a few intense work projects, we’ve been suffering a series of sleepless nights lately. When it’s heading into the wee hours and we’re wide awake, sometimes it helps us to sit down with a mug of something warm. Here are our favorites:
1. Warm Milk – Maybe it’s the tryptophan or maybe it’s just that the beverage we drank as kids is inherently soothing. Either way, milk makes us yawn faster than anything else. We like it with a spoonful of honey.
2. Lemon, Ginger, and Honey Tea – If we’re not feeling like milk, this is usually what we turn to. We drop a few lemon wedges, some sliced ginger, and a generous teaspoon of honey into a mug of hot water. Let it infuse for a few minutes and then sip slowly.
3. Herbal Tea – Chamomile, lemon balm, valerian, and passion flower teas can be very soothing after a long day, and all have been used as herbal sleep aids for centuries.
4. Miso Soup – Sometimes we want something savory instead of sweet, and plain miso soup is the perfect solution.
5. Bourbon – Our last resort! Personally, we like to sip it neat, but it also goes very well with the lemon, ginger, and honey tea we talk about above. If you’re not a fan of bourbon, try brandy or a small glass of port.
With all of these beverages, we’re pretty sure it’s mostly the act of pausing, sitting down, and drinking something slowly that gets us into a sleepy state. We often have a little snack and read a few chapters of a good book as well.
What’s your remedy for sleeplessness?