Simply Grilling by Jennifer Chandler
I’m making a resolution this summer. I love a good juicy burger and I’ll never turn down a grilled steak, but it’s time to branch out. I resolve to expand my repertoire this grilling season, and Simply Grilling is the cookbook that will help me do it! Who’s with me?
• Who wrote it: Jennifer Chandler
• Who published it: Thomas Nelson
• Number of recipes: 105 grill recipes, covering everything from quick appetizers and pork chops all the way to fish fillets and grilled bananas.
• Recipes for right now: All of them! Ok, top five? Try the Caribbean Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa, Cowboy T-Bone with Whiskey Butter, Fire-Roasted Mussels, Grilled Caesar Salad, and Spinach-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
• Other highlights: The recipes in this book are simple and approachable, and yet nudge grillers (like me!) to think outside the book. The chapter on fish and seafood was especially eye-opening — grouper tacos and grilled lobster tail, oh my! I also appreciate the more familiar recipes and ingredients that get dressed up in new ways, like chicken skewers with yakitori sauce and banh mi sandwiches with grilled pork.
It’s not all meat, either! Chandler has a bounty of vegetable-only recipes that can serve as a main course, a side dish, or be re-purposed in a salad. I’m really excited to try grilling avocado halves and wedges of fennel this summer
One last note of appreciation: Chandler has marked recipes in the book that are particularly adaptable to indoor grilling. This is great not only for folks who don’t have the outdoor space for a grill, but also for rainy days and cooler weather when spending time standing next the grill is less appealing.
• Who would enjoy this book? New grillers looking for inspiration and cooks wanting to pick up some new grill skills this summer
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Simply Grilling: 105 Recipes for Quick and Casual Grilling by Jennifer Chandler
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)