Yesterday the CDC issued a stern warning to the country: Do not, under any circumstances, eat romaine lettuce. An E.Coli outbreak may have contaminated all types of romaine. If you bought any heads or hearts of romaine, go into your kitchen right now and throw it out. Same goes for any boxed salad mixes. In fact, you better stay in there and disinfect your refrigerator. Better to play it safe.
Now you might be panicking because you had plans to make luscious, crunchy salads for lunch all week or maybe you finally committed to eating vegetarian once a week. Never fear! Here, we've gathered 21 salad recipes that contain not even a hint of romaine. These salads get their flavor from healthy ingredients like beans, quinoa, and pasta. You won't even notice that the romaine is missing.
Kale is popular for a reason: It pairs well with fruit, and it's hearty enough to impress even the most staunch salad skeptics.
- Broccoli and Kale Caesar Salad with Vegan Dressing
- Fall Harvest Honeycrisp Apple and Kale Salad from Half Baked Harvest
- Winter Kale Salad with Almonds and Pomegranate Seeds
- Kale Salad with Apricots, Avocado, and Parmesan
- Veggie Inspired Loaded Chopped Kale Salad from Veggie Inspired
Filling and satisfying bean salads are the perfect choice for a light, healthy dinner.
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Chickpeas, Feta, and Herbs
- Fresh Black Bean Salad from Cookie and Kate
- Spicy Salmon Black Bean Salad
- Vegan 5-Bean Salad from The Veggie Chick
- Italian Garbanzo Bean Salad from Chelsea's Messy Apron
Add a grain like the superfood quinoa, which is high in fiber and protein, to your salad for a healthy boost.
- Green Goddess Quinoa Salad Bowl
- Mediterranean Farro Salad with Cucumbers and Sun Dried Tomatoes from Gimme Some Oven
- Southwestern Brown Rice Salad from Veggies Save the Day
- Golden Beet and Barley Salad with Rainbow Chard
- Winter Curry Grain Salad with Butternut Squash from Heartbeet Kitchen
- Wild Rice and Arugula Salad from Downshiftology
Combine healthy greens with our favorite comfort food — pasta — to create a salad that will make you forget you're eating salad.