Chicken breasts are a meal-plan mainstay, because even when I pull a pack from the freezer without a plan for cooking it, I know I can pop them in the oven for a simple, satisfying supper. As for a side, anything and everything is fair game when it comes to pairing food with mild-mannered chicken breasts.
Whether you love a good salad or slaw that can be tossed together in minutes, or a roasted veggie side that can cook alongside the chicken, here are 10 easy side dish options to round out dinner.
Part of the beauty of mild-mannered chicken breast is that it can partner well with just about anything. So on the nights I want a fresh, somewhat healthyish dinner, I throw together a simple salad with whatever veggies I have hanging out in the crisper, sometimes bulking it up with any leftover grains.
- Simple Arugula Salad
- Minty Snap Pea Salad
- The Easiest Tangy Cucumber Salad
- Tomato and Feta White Bean Salad
- Farro Salad with Arugula, Radishes & Goat Cheese
While the chicken is cooking, it takes next to no effort to toss together a crunchy slaw that's packed with flavor. It's certainly easy to prep the veggies for a slaw, although I am all in favor of taking advantage of those super-convenient pre-shredded bags in the produce section for a time-saving shortcut.
- Tangy Carrot Slaw
- Tangy Cabbage and Jalapeño Slaw
- Cabbage Apple Slaw with Honey-Lime Dressing
- Kohlrabi and Carrot Slaw
Quick Stovetop Sides
Once the chicken goes into the oven, it's hands-off cooking, which leaves you with just enough time to toss together a quick stovetop side, like cauliflower rice, spinach, a pot of couscous, or some meaty, herbed mushrooms.
- Mexican Restaurant-Style Cauliflower Rice
- Easy Lemon-Ginger Spinach
- 15-Minute Parmesan-Thyme Mushrooms
- Swiss Chard with Garbanzo Beans
- One-Pot Smoked Almond and Herb Couscous
- Asparagus & Radishes with Mint
The oven's already on, so why not take advantage of it and cook up some veggies right alongside the chicken?